Thursday 1 November 2012

Rally season has begun!

I took the dogs to the first race of the season at the weekend.  We were racing at Aviemore which is about 2 and a half hours away and sure enough just as I was about to set off it started snowing.... badly.

Now you would be forgiven for thinking, "surely snow is a good thing when you race sled dogs" but in fact unless it is deep and bedded in snow you cant really use a sled and its horrible driving country roads when you cant see more than 100ft in front of you.

Still, off we went and I wasn't too phased as I knew I would be staying at a camp site with electrical hook up so I could use my electric fan to keep me warm when sleeping in the van over night so off we went and arrived before it got dark.

When I arrived I proceeded to let the dogs stretch their legs and releave themselves then I got to setting up the van.  plugged in the electrical cable, then my fan... NOTHING!!  I'd come all the way to find out my heater wasn't working!! I got the maintenance guy to have a look and we tracking the problem back to the van so there was nothing much I could do about it.  I phoned my Husband to ask if he had unplugged anything when he was working on the car the previous week but he hadnt so I resigned myself to a very cold night.

I went round to a challet some friends were staying in around 9pm to blow up my mattress and get a hot water bottle then about an hour later I was back at the van....... to find my Husband in there with the fan working!! He had driven 2 1/2 hours in the snow at night just to fix my heater!  What a hero!!

So we both camped in the van over night then the next morning he went back home while I went off to the race venue and went on to have a great weekend without loosing any toes to frostbite!

Here is a photo of us approaching the finish line on Saturday.  They did really well, knocking over a minute of last years time.  Look how happy they look!



1 comment:

  1. Wow they look good, what a get story and well done on husband to come and rescue you. Good luck in all your races this winter. I look forward to hearing more about your races.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete