Friday 2 November 2012

taking up sewing

A few weeks ago I bought myself my first sewing machine after falling in love with this tatted dress drawer freshener which required a little bit of sewing.

I originally bought a really cheap thing from Hobby Craft (I guess it is the same thing as Hobby Lobby in the US) but the zig zag stitch didn't work and there was no speed control so I took it back for a refund and decided to splash out a bit and get me a Borther LX27NT

Now, knowing nothing about sewing machines and having not used on since I was about 14 in Home Economics class I really just went with the good reviews and the pretty pattern on the side but from the very first moment of taking it out the box i've loved it.

Of cource having spent the money to get myself what I consider a fancy bit of kit, I had to do more with it than simple sew up a tiny drawer cushion so I trawled the internet for some free patterns and have already made myself my first handbag.  I wont share the photos in this post as I only have camera phone photos which are rubbish so i'll wait till I get the photos off the DSLR camera.

Of cource with any shiny new hobby i've dived off the deep end and have ordered heaps of material and downloaded lots of patterns and have decided to make all the females I know handbags for xmas even though I have only made the one bag so far.

Unfortunatly I was about to head out to my local fabric shop when I got a phone call from the bank and it turns out someone has stolen my card details and has used my account to pay some short term loan company so I am signifcantly less well off that I though earlier this morning.  Luckily the loan company agrees its fraud so I should get my money back eventually but it meant my card has been cancelled and I have to wait till I get the money back.  It put a bit of a dampener on my day and I couldn't be bothered going out after being on the phone for 2 hours so i'll go in tomorrow insead.

My shopping list for tomorrow is to get stuff to make an ironing board and craft mat case. Since noticing when making my first handbag that I had no work space to iron my seams etc like I was supposed to (the house is being removated so there is no room to set up an ironing board).

Anyway, hopefully next time I post I will have photos of my bag, my iron mat and maybe even have my money back (fingers crossed).

Till next time...

Cat x

3 comments:

  1. That sounds about right, what a cheek to use your bank account to pay off their loan, I hope you get all the money back and you can at least get the material you crave.
    I look forward to seeing your results.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new sewing machine! I have a love/hate relationship with mine. When it works, great! When it doesn't (usually operator error), I get frustrated and walk away.

    I'm sorry to read about your card troubles. I hope it gets sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new machine looks very pretty! - mine is 43 years old now, nothing computerised about it at all, which is just as well because I could never cope with that. I live in fear of it's demise, but it just keeps on going, thank goodness!
    I love that tatting pattern! - must order it to make a few for the Christmas Craft Stall - different colours?

    ReplyDelete