Friday 24 February 2012



I had been looking for ages for a pattern I liked the look of and something that would be suitable for girls or boys with little success.  I’m not a huge fan of patterns with bare thread and since that was how most patterns were designed when baby bonnets were popular is has made my search even harder.

I finally decided to buy the pattern for this bonnet:



I know it has lots of hearts which isn’t exactly suitable for a boy (and knowing my luck it will be) but my Mum pointed out the could also be seen as four leaf clovers.  I can also change the design so that if it’s a boy I can leave out the frilly bit at the front of the bonnet.

So I have decided that if it’s a girl I will do the outer row of “hearts” in pink and if it’s a boy I’ll do the “clovers” in green and select a ribbon to match.

I started it on Sunday and so far this is all I have achieved:



The heart/clover medallions are harder than they look and I wasted quite a lot of time making lots of mistakes and having to re-do them but I’m now happy with how its turning out.  The only problem is the pattern doesn’t specify what thread size to use so I’m making this one in size 10 as it’s the only size I have in white.  I think it should be OK since the baby should grow into it by the time he or she is christened but I wont get a better idea of its size till I’ve done a few more rounds.  Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will at that stage and I’ll have time to order smaller thread it needs be.

Until next time... Catx

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your Mum.... Could be clovers or hearts! I like this pattern! I've only done one bonnet & I thought it would end me. Wish I'd seen this one instead; I agree with you about bare thread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a gorgeous pattern and they will love it no matter what. Truly when they're so little, it doesn't matter as much, hearts or clovers. They will treasure it. I did a bonnet too once and like this one, it didn't specify size of thread. It ended up being one for a 3-year old but the parents were enchanted anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like the heart/clovers.

    ReplyDelete